14 April 2009

COLORADO COLLEEN: Vail Puts a Lid on It



Nobody really likes being told what to do, and I'm not sure we can legislate common sense, yet I tip my hat--or my ski helmet--to Vail Resorts for requiring employees to wear helmets while skiing or riding on the job. The new rule will go into effect for the 2009-2010 season. All five Vail resorts--four in Colorado and one in California--also will require helmets for ski school students under age 12. Helmets will be part of the rental package for kids.

Last month, I blogged about a dramatic spill I took on an expert run the same day that Natasha Richardson fell on the bunny slope. She later died, tragically, but her death gave rise to more debate about ski helmets.

Vail leads the ski industry on so many levels; I'm glad they stepped up on this issue. Things happen so fast on the slopes. Better safe than sorry.

Please read my earlier post about ski helmets.

And if you ski or ride and don't already have one, invest in a good helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pass it on!

Share/Save/Bookmark