09 November 2009

COLORADO COLLEEN: Introducing my Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer friend, Ken Papaleo


I met Ken Papaleo on assignment: Colorado Expression magazine had assigned me to do a profile on Ken, focusing on his hand-colored fine art photographs.

The photo above, titled "Nature's Window," is one example. Ken works from black and white photographs, painting in colored detail for a magic realism effect.

Ken's images stunned me. And when Ken and I met, we connected quickly, in part because we've both worked as journalists, and probably in larger part because we both ski. Ken had just come from buying new skis, in fact, and he was aglow like a kid with a shiny new bicycle.
Ken is a two-time Pulitzer Prize-winner photographer, a seasoned veteran on the staff of the now defunct Rocky Mountain News. He paid a price for his Pulitzer Prizes because he was on the fronts covering both the Columbine High School massacre and Colorado wildfires.
Left to his own devices, Ken prefers to focus on beauty. Mother Nature's beauty, particularly.
I was so impressed with Ken's photography that I incorporated an image per month for a year of issues of a national newsletter than I write and art direct. You'll love his photos, too, I promise.

For more on Ken and for links to his gallery and new blog, please check out today's entry on my Examiner.com page.
I've provided links so you can see delightful photography that will take your breath away and renew your sense of awe. Just click here now.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pass it on!

Share/Save/Bookmark