05 October 2009

COLORADO COLLEEN: Happy Feast Day, St. Francis of Assisi



I'm a day late in wishing Saint Francis of Assisi
a happy feast day!


St. Francis has successfully crossed ecumenical boundaries,
and he's often associated now not only with animals,
but also with the environment
and peace.
Plus, he's the patron saint of Colorado,
so he's one of my favorite saints.
I called on him constantly when I had my dogs Friday and Copper.

I made a pilgrimage to Assisi, after my dog Friday died,
and I left some of her ashes there
near where the body of good St. Francis lies for all eternity.
But that's another story.

Photo by Quincy Benton
depicts my secret garden's St. Francis statue,
a gift from my late parents.
See that crack around his neck?
Once, my girl Friday got so excited chasing a squirrel,
that she jumped up and toppled the tall, heavy statue.
Upon impact, his head fell off,
and St. Francis of Assisi became St. John the Baptist
until he got his head on straight again.

For more about the environment, garden angels, flowers, gardening, and other greenthumb matters, please drop by my Examiner.com page where I serve as Denver's Flower and Gardening Examiner.
Here's a link.
Just click here now.
Hope to see you there.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pass it on!

Share/Save/Bookmark